Udaan, the Special Industry Initiative (SII) for J&K is funded by Ministry of Home Affairs and implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The programme is a part of the overall initiative for addressing economic issues in J&K. While steps are being taken by the State and Central Government to revive economic activity in J&K, Udaan programme is a special initiative to address the needs of the educated unemployed in J&K. Udaan program is focused on youth of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) who are graduate, post graduate and three year diploma engineers.
The aim is to provide skills and job opportunities to the youth. Simultaneously, the aim is also to provide exposure to corporate India towards the rich talent pool available in J&K. The target was to reach out to 40,000 youth in J&K over a period of 5 years. It was observed that youth from J&K were unable to find employment in many companies as either they were unaware of the opportunity in the companies or the companies were unaware of the talent pool that existed in J&K.
The principal focus of the Udaan programme is to create an ecosystem that would bridge this gap. The Udaan programme is designed to encourage corporates to travel to J&K meet with the youth and hire aspiring youth in J&K who wish to explore the opportunity to work with corporates. Udaan provides a framework of support to the youth to travel, undergo training in firms and transit to work.
Udaan has two objectives
- To provide exposure to the graduates and post graduates of Jammu and Kashmir to the best of corporate India and
- To provide corporate India with exposure to the rich talent pool available in the state
STEP 1 >>
- Prospective partner corporates submit a proposal to NSDC
- Proposals are evaluated and approved by Proposal Approval committee of Udaan
- Candidates from Jammu and Kashmir register on the website
- Partner corporates identify and select candidates through the website and selection drives
STEP 2 >>
- Selected candidates are requested to join Udaan partners training centres
- Candidates will undergo rigorous training, ideally between 3 to 6 months, for a defined program
- Travel, boarding and lodging costs will be reimbursed. A stipend will also be provided to the candidate during the training period
- A candidate once joins an Udaan training programme is not permitted to undergo any other Udaan training programs in any other corporate
STEP 3 >>
- At the end of training, candidates are assessed based on their training for a job position